Cheesepalooza Yogurt

Since I’ve been making yogurt for quite some time I decided to make two separate quarts of yogurt.  One I used the instructions on Page 47 of the  Artisan Cheese Making at Home book we are following for Cheesepalooza and the other I made the way I always make yogurt.  Lets see the results.

Yogurt using Mary Karlin’s technique on Page 47 of the textbook. Heating the milk very slowly to 115 degrees F. This is different from the way I usually make yogurt as I use 110 degrees F. In Mary Karlin’s recipe you add 1 drop of rennet to 1/4 cup of cool water if you want a thicker yogurt.  Since I was comparing this to my tried and true yogurt that is very thick I put the whole 1/4 cup in the mix.  Mary suggests one tbsp. if you want a thinner yogurt and the whole 1/4 cup if you want a thicker yogurt. Then I added 2 tbsp. of the yogurt I made last week as my starter. I usually use a powdered starter so I will be really interested to see how this turns out. Stirring gently with a whisk to incorporate the starter. And now to sit in the pot on top of the stove with no heat on under it for 4 hours. My Saladmaster pots are excellent for this because they are so well insulated that they keep the milk exactly the right temp. After 4 hours what I ended up with was very different from what I was expecting. It tastes VERY mild but the weird thing is that the whey completely separated from the curd much like cheese. I guess that is the rennet doing it’s work. Just not used to yogurt looking like this and not being sour. Notice how the curds in the centre are in a perfect circle and look like a cheese form. When I scooped them out and into a canning jar to put in the refrigerator, they were well formed and looked more like yogurt to me at this point. The taste though, very mild. After sitting in the refrigerator over night this yogurt had a slightly rubbery texture like I had added gelatine to it.  To my mind too mild for yogurt as well. I will try this again and let it sit for 24 hours like I do my regular yogurt. At 24 hours all the lactose is gone from yogurt so it is safe for a GAPS diet and for people with lactose intolerance. It also has a really nice tart flavour. I wonder if the rennet will keep making the milk more solid if I let it culture for 24 hours? I guess we’ll see!

Next I made my regular yogurt. Again heating the milk but this time to 110 degrees F.

Then added 1/8 tsp. of a culture called ABY2C from Glengarry Cheese Company This culture makes very thick yogurt even with raw milk. Raw milk yogurt can be very thin because of the combination of bacteria’s in it but with this culture it is very thick. Pasteurized milk is very thick with this culture as well. You can order it in a very small package to try so I recommend you try it. I love it!

Same type of pot but this time sitting in my oven. I first turn the oven to 150 degrees and when it heats up I turn it off. Then I put the pot in the oven with the light on and leave it for 24 hours. The trick to this is putting a sticky note over the oven control.  I finally learned after I cooked a few batches of yogurt!  The resulting yogurt is thick and nice and tart tasting. Not so tart that it’s hard to eat but tart enough to know it’s yogurt. This could be done for 7 hours as well if you don’t need the lactose completely gone. Once yogurt culture works on the milk for 24 hours there is virtually no lactose left. The other 2 jars are my comparisons for the butter Cheesepalooza post which I will do shortly.

Notice the clean break I end up with after 24 hours? Take it from the pot and put into a quart size preserving jar, cool and eat! YUMMY!!!!!!

I have to say that I prefer my old method of making yogurt. The resulting product is just as thick as the one that called for rennet but it is better tasting and completely free of lactose.

Tags: , , ,


  1. HI, Margo!
    I was also really surprised to read Mary’s yogurt making recipe! The Baba’s of old would probably faint. I always use 1/4 cup of my last homemade batch to culture the next one, and each time, it gets richer and thicker. I put the culture in at 37 degrees Celsius, sit it for 5 hours on the counter in a super insulated pot, and then in the fridge over night and it is lovely.
    I also just made Mary’s last night with some extra Goat’s milk I had on hand. I have done this before in my usual manner, and it has consistently turned out beautifully – exactly like my cow’s milk yogurt. My yogurt whey was not as clear as yours after the 4 hours, but the mass was the same when I fished down inside. However, the curds were like ricotta, or cottage cheese. I was really surprised. It tastes lovely and sweet. Absolutely no yogurt tang.
    I, too, will maintain my former yogurt making practice – but this recipe resulted in an interesting discovery, and I quite like the result. Certainly nothing like yogurt!
    Also: I put up a facebook page – search for cheesepalooza and add this link to it. And, I found a really great farmer I will visit next week who wants to participate in the project.

  2. This looks great! I’m not a huge fan of eating yoghurt by itself, but the fact that this one looks more like cheese actually makes me want to try it! i also have a yoghurt maker for making cheese starters and cream cheese so maybe I should be brave and give yoghurt a try too…

  3. I really appreciate your comparison of Mary’s method against your own tried and true one. I have never made yogurt, so I am eager to try Mary’s method to establish one baseline, then hopefully branch out into some other aficionado’s methods. Thanks for this!

Leave a comment